And why not, after all, React.js is what powers React Native – the cross-platform app development mode that has given businesses a lot to reasons to adopt in their ecosystem.
Joining the list of Frontend certainties is the growing popularity of the Vue.js framework.
The growth in adoption rate that Vue.js is witnessing, is what is fuelling the discussions around reactjs vs vuejs: Which Framework is Winning the Race to Becoming the Top JS Framework/Library.
Your next 5 Minutes will go into finding an answer to just that.
While we have already talked about the options that businesses have when it comes to the front-end development of web apps, mobile apps, and even PWAs in-depth in an article before, this piece is about the comparison of two framework/library that we listed as the Fantastic Four JS frameworks that would rule the industry in 2018 and for some time to come – Vue.js vs React.
Now all comparison of Vuejs vs React would come to a standstill until and unless we have gathered a complete understanding of both the JS frameworks. So, before we move onto the comparison part of Vue vs React, let us look into what both Vue.js and React.js entails and what are the strengths and disadvantages that come attached with both.
What is React JS?
Developed by Facebook to handle view layer for both mobile and web applications. React.js is used mainly for developing front-end interfaces. It is used as the view part in a MVC model. And since developers can also render the React JS on server as Node, it can is often used for native application development as well.
React JS Features:
- JSX is recommended to be used in React JS
- React JS is used as component structure that is used for working in large projects with different modular structures.
- It implements a one-way data flow with the help of Flux pattern for keeping data unidirectional.
What is Vue JS?
Vue JS Features:
- Vue JS offers HTML based templates used for creating views
- It uses Virtual DOM for storing virtual replicas of user interface in the memory and syncing with the actual through related libraries.
- It makes use of Watchers to take care of data related changes
- It comes with built-in plugins for animating different HTML elements.
Let’s start with the pros and cons of Reactjs first.
Pros of React.js Library
- Easy To Learn – React’s simplicity in terms of syntax makes it a lot easier to learn for a developer who has good working knowledge of HTML. This is one of the main factors that bring React points ahead in the React vs Angular and React vs Vue debate .
- React.js comes with high flexibility and responsiveness.
- Virtual DOM allows arranging of documents in XHTML, HTML, and XML format in a tree from where it is acceptable by web browsers when parsing different element of web app.
- 100% open source library, which gets a number of everyday improvement and updates in because of the contributions made by developers around the world.
- Migration between versions is usually very easy, something which makes working around the React.js pros and cons a better deal compared to Vue.js.
Cons of React.js Library
- The lack of documentation continues to be the biggest drawback of React.js
- The learnability scale is on the higher side, meaning it takes time for a developer to understand the nuances of React.js.
Even with the presence of evident shortcomings, the adaptation rate of React.js is what keeps it afloat in the market. The library continues to provide an ecosystem that favours near native app experience to the users.
However, knowing React.js pros and cons is not enough to declare it the best of the two. What cannot be ignored is the rate at which Vue native framework is growing in the mobile app industry. Since, the framework is considerably new in the industry, the expectation that it comes with visible advantage over other JS frameworks is pretty evident.
Let us look into the framework into more detail to get an idea of whether it is ready to stack over React.js.
Pros of Vue.js Framework
- Heavy use of HTML – It means that Vue has a lot of similar features like Angular, which helps in optimizing HTML blocks handling with the help of different components.
- Small App Size – The size of a Vue.js-based app is just 18-21kb, which makes it lead in the Vue vs Ember battle and many others. This makes it a perfect fit for both small and large app projects.
- Detailed Documentation – The clarity and depthness of documentation of Vue, makes it easy for developers to understand the framework.
- Adaptability – It offers rapid switching time from different frameworks to Vue because of its similarity with React and Angular in terms of architecture and design.
- Large Scaling – Vue is very helpful when it comes to developing reusable templates which can be easily developed in no extra time.
Cons of Vue.js Framework
- Less Resources – When it comes to the market share, Vue.js is a lot smaller than Angular or React, meaning that the knowledge sharing is in a beginning phase.
- Over Flexibility – There have been integration issues of framework in big projects, which becomes only more crucial as there is no possible solution.
- Absence of Complete English Documentation – A great portion of the Vue documentation is in Mandarin, which makes it difficult for developers to some extent.
Now that you have seen the best and the weaknesses of both frameworks, it is time we look into what separates Vue native framework with React.js.
Here is a reactjs vs vuejs comparison table –
Amidst all the differences, the decision between which is a better framework in the Vue vs React discussion ultimately comes down to these deciding factors –
1. Interaction with DOM
React.js is based on virtual DOM. The applications made on React.js compare two DOM trees where the rendering starts specifically on those nodes that needs changing. While this method betters the performance on the client side, among the other various benefits that comes with using Virtual DOM in React.js, at times when Animation is created with complex synchronization, the approach doesn’t come in handy.
On the other hand, while Vue js native app is also based on Virtual DOM, but it does so with a lot more filigree, meaning the references are operated to every node of the tree, which is the number one reason why developers select the framework for apps that are high on animations and interactivities.
Although both Vue.js and React.js operate on Virtual DOM, which in itself come with a share of performance issues, Vue pays a greater attention to the shortcomings. And because of this fact, Vue.js comes with a lot less overhead and faster speed. Along with this, Vue native app has the ability to manage high frames rate – 10 frames per second when compared to the 1 FPS of React.js.
3. Developer Convenience
When it comes to React.js, the library comes with zero division in MVW, MVC, or MVVM structure. With the absence of a division in app’s presentation and logic, multiple developers cannot be implemented at the same time, which makes mobile app development process complicated.
On the other hand, Vue js mobile app is based on an MVC framework, which brings it some points ahead in the React vs Vuejs discussion. It gives the developers a template which is shown in the form of filters and directives that make the code a lot more readable, thus reducing the occurrence of bugs.
When we talk of front-end development of apps, in the Vue.js vs React.js discussion, React is points ahead of Vue.js native app.
As per the common understanding in the mobile app development ecosystem, frontend scalability is the capability to maintain expanding functionality. Whatever development platform that you choose Vue.js or React.js, it should be able to support the growth that a quality app’s frontend should.
Now on that front, while React make use of a component based approach with superb results, Vue native apps are known to be developed using a template specific syntax, which makes it very difficult to reuse as the app size grows.
One of the major differences between React JS and Vue JS is how the view layer is developed.
Vue JS makes use of HTML template, while there is the option to write in the JSX. React JS, on the other hand, uses only JSX.
The traditional separation of concerns present in Vue JS helps separate HTML, JS, and CSS, which makes it easy for beginner frontend developers to create web applications. While, react JS’s XML like syntax enables developers to build self contained UI elements with view-rendering instructions.
6. Developers’ Insights
What developers think about React JS and Vue JS can help you understand which should you choose for your app development project.
What developers like about Vue JS:
- Easy learning
- Elegant programming patterns and styles
- Detailed documentation
What developers like about React JS:
- Widespread use
- Rich package ecosystem
- Elegant programming patterns and styles
7. State Management
It is another prime difference between Vue JS and React JS. Vuex just like Redux, is the library inspired by the Flux. Unlike Redux, the state of Vuex changes instead of becoming immutable and getting replaced completely, like in the case of the Reduc reductors.
This in turn enables Vue to retrieve the data automatically which can be re-rendered when state changes.
React is mainly centered around UI, so initially you will get a lot of help for building UI elements. But, React JS doesn’t offer you state management, so you will have to use Redux as the state management tool.
Vue JS being a dynamic framework allows utilizing basic tools for creating an application. However, it offers other functionalities which developers might require:
- Vue Router for app URL management
- Vuex for the state management
- Vue.js Server-Side Renderer
9. Mobile App Development
React Native is the React based platform that allows developers to create cross platform applications that run on both Android and iOS platforms.
10. Brand Evangelists
Both Vue.js and React.js have their share brands names favouring them –
When to Use React.js Library
There are some very evident instances where investing in React.js makes more sense than developing an app around Vue.js –
- When you have to develop a more complex app
- When you need to create both Mobile and Web App
- When you would need community support
When to use Vue.js Framework
Like React.js, vue js mobile app also makes sense only in some calculated instances such as –
- When you are looking to create a web app having templates
- When you are developing a simple category vue js mobile app
- When the go to market time is very less
But then again, there are legitimate situations where Vue.js makes a lot more sense than React.js. So, what we would suggest is to contact our mobile app development experts and understand which framework/library would best suit your business needs.
FAQs About Vue.js vs React.js
1. Is Vue js better than React?
Just like React.js pros and cons, Vue.js comes with its own share of benefits and disadvantages too. So, the answer to if Vue is better than React would vary from situation to situation like the complexity of app, when do you want to launch the app, etc.
2. What is the difference between React JS and Vue JS?
When we talk about vue.js vs react.js, there are a number of differences that come up, even though both are popular for their offerings.
The factors on the basis of which the comparisons are drawn are:
- Interaction with DOM
- State Management
- Developers’ Sentiments
3. Why is Vue.js so popular?
The potential of the framework which can be seen through the following points is what makes it popular in the mobile app development sector –
- A very low learning curve
- The ecosystem scales between a framework and a library, making it the best solution for apps across categories
- Its out of the box official CLI saves time
strategies your digital product..