- Why make a car marketplace platform like Autotrader?
- How does a car marketplace like Autotrader work?
- Account Creation and Listing
- Search Filters
- Secure Payment and Delivery
- Insurance and Financing
- How much does it cost to build a marketplace platform like Autotrader?
- How to build a marketplace platform like Autotrader?
- Step 1: Adopt Clear-cut Goals and a Well-defined Target Audience
- Step 2: Determine the Features You Will Offer
- Step 3: Choose Appropriate Development Platforms
- Step 4: Design the Platform
- Step 5: Develop and Launch your Platform
- Frequently Asked Questions
Approximately between 13.7 million to 13.9 million new vehicles were sold in the US last year, according to a CNBC report. This was for a good reason; a life without a car would likely be unimaginable for most people. In addition to being a veritable necessity, cars are incredibly sophisticated products that come in innumerable variants, each with its own pros and cons. However, the traditional route to buying a vehicle can be a grueling and stressful process.
Even if you do find the car for you after hours of searching through dealership lots, any issues you don’t spot before your purchase will never be addressed after a sale has been finalized. Moreover, car dealers are rarely willing to buy back vehicles. Fortunately, the advent of the Internet and car marketplace platforms like Autotrader has since transformed how we buy and sell cars.
Autotrader is a trusted custom car marketplace allowing potential buyers and sellers of automobiles to connect. Unlike car rental apps like Rover, which only allows users to browse through and rent a selection of cars, Autotrader offers additional tools and information that allows buyers to make an informed purchase decision. The comprehensive purchase experience that Autotrader offers is what makes it a great car marketplace platform. Therefore, in this article we’ll discuss the car marketplace platform like Autotrader cost, including its features and benefits.
Why make a car marketplace platform like Autotrader?
Building a marketplace platform like Autotrader offers a number of conveniences that make the car-buying experience more comfortable. The utility of such platforms does not end there. Autotrader and similar platforms also help automobile businesses directly sell to consumers looking for a sweet ride. Car marketplace platforms offer other advantages:
- Greater Access to Information: Traditional car dealers are incentivized to provide limited information about a car’s make, model, year, mileage, and condition. Every business needs to make sales, and buyers must determine the suitability of their purchase before they make them. However, custom car marketplace development promote transparency by mandating that car sellers report every important detail of an automobile when attempting to sell it. Verified buyers can also offer up reviews and ratings, which allow buyers to make an informed purchase based on the seller’s reliability and the product’s quality.
- Ease of Use: Custom car marketplace development have several features, like browsing numerous listings and filtering them based on their price and specifications. This helps people save the energy and time expended in visiting a number of car dealerships to find a good car.
- Third-party Moderation: All custom car marketplace development, including Autotrader, moderate the available listings, filtering out illegitimate or totaled cars. This makes the buying process more transparent and helps buyers make a safe purchase. Moreover, Autotrader also offers easier access to certified pre-owned cars which are thoroughly inspected and refurbished, which makes the car buying experience so much more transparent.
- Cheaper Cars: As simple as it sounds, buying a car from a car marketplace platform like Autotrader costs less for end users because it keeps competition alive between sellers, which leads to lower prices across the board. Unlike traditional car dealerships, which effectively monopolize car sales in the region they service, car marketplace platforms allow potential buyers to compare prices, which leads to immense cost savings.
- Significantly More Options: Car marketplace platforms tend to accumulate an incredible selection of cars, including used or new cars, luxury cars, sports cars, and budget-friendly variants. This allows prospective buyers to easily make a suitable purchase within their budget.
- Trustworthiness: Apps like Autotrader foster trust between sellers and prospective buyers. This is made possible through a term of use clause, which mandates providing accurate and comprehensive information on automobiles listed on the platform. Sellers are required to disclose any problems affecting an automobile. Moreover, the review and rating system allows consumers to sieve out any sellers engaging in fraud or malpractice.
- Bundled Insurance and Financing Options: Car marketplace like Autotrader offer access to several insurance and financing options, making the buying experience much more convenient. Many prospective buyers would agree that the ability to skip needless travel and extensive paperwork is a sufficient reason to opt for such platforms over car dealerships themselves. Some platforms even partner with insurance providers and lenders to offer unique financing or insurance products that may be more advantageous to consumers.
[Also Read: Mobile App Development for Businesses]
How does a car marketplace like Autotrader work?
The popularity of Autotrader can be associated with a singular trait: it is the easiest way to find the right car at the right price. This advantage emerges from a commitment to reliably offering a superior consumer experience. Autotrader focuses on simplicity in design, offering only on the most important features required to fulfill its function. The functionalities offered by Autotrader include:
Account Creation and Listing
Autotrader’s First-time users must sign up for an account. Once logged in, sellers on the platform will be required to provide detailed information about the cars they intend to sell, the make and model of the vehicle, its mileage, and its overall condition. Moreover, they can also post videos or photos of vehicles, allowing prospective buyers to make better purchase decisions.
Buyers on the platform can use filters to narrow their choices down to the car they want to purchase. Autotrader even allows buyers to find cars on the basis of a designated budget and location. Additionally, every important detail, including the features and specifications of a vehicle, is available to consider.
Autotrader allows prospective buyers and sellers to communicate with each other on the platform, allowing the latter to ask questions and negotiate before making a deal. Buyers can even opt to test drive a car they like by informing the seller beforehand through a message!
Secure Payment and Delivery
Car marketplace platforms allow buyers to pay securely through a payment portal that offers a number of payment options, including wire transfers and escrow services. This guarantees a safe transaction for both buyers and sellers. Once payment has been made, sellers can also arrange delivery through the platform.
Insurance and Financing
Being a trusted platform, Autotrader offers a number of financing and insurance options created in cooperation with several lending partners. This allows buyers to choose between quotes of different insurance and financing packages, which makes completing a purchase practically effortless.
How much does it cost to build a marketplace platform like Autotrader?
The business case of marketplace platforms like Autotrader speaks for itself, which makes one wonder how much it would cost to build another Autotrader. The short answer is ‘a lot’. In truth, creating a car marketplace platform like Autotrader is a resource-intensive undertaking that can be incredibly profitable if done well. Several factors would affect the cost to build a marketplace platform like autotrader. Here are some of the most prominent factors you’d have to consider when building a car marketplace platform:
- The Bells and Whistles: A platform’s features and sheer functionality is the most important factor affecting its cost. A platform like Autotrader must come with features such as search filters, sorting options, car listings, user registration, and payment portals at the very least. More sophisticated capabilities like messaging and social media sharing are often implemented to ensure a better purchase experience.
- Design and Consumer Experience: The useability of a platform is often predicated on its design, the creation of which is contingent on hiring experts in the field. Simply creating a clean interface and responsive layout is not enough; the platform must be accessible through a range of devices. Maintaining a uniform and consistent design is a priority for a marketplace platform since it ensures a better user experience, ultimately resulting in a higher reputation and profitability.
- The Resources Required: Creating a sophisticated marketplace platform like Autotrader involves spending a significant amount of time and money, exponentially more so when its complexity increases. This means that the costs associated with development are always increasing as more time is spent on a platform.
- The Maintenance Costs: Any marketplace platform requires a vast array of servers to host it, which entails additional expenses for appropriate databases and routine maintenance. The cost of such infrastructure and maintenance will keep driving up car marketplace platform like Autotrader cost, especially if a dedicated enterprise does not perform it. Moreover, the platform will need to be constantly updated to ensure everything is running on all cylinders.
Due to the sheer versatility of car marketplace platforms and their builds, the cost of a platform like Autotrader is difficult to estimate even if you accurately account for the abovementioned factors. At the very least, cost of developing a car marketplace platform like Autotrader would be between $50,000 and $200,000.
It is important to understand that a car marketplace platform is a decidedly long-term investment. However, the cost of such a platform – if well-designed and operated – is justifiable since it would bring significant income for several years. As such, creating the next Autotrader might be advisable if a suitable business case can be developed to help overthrow the incumbents.
How to build a marketplace platform like Autotrader?
Getting started on developing a marketplace platform like Autotrader is no mean feat. However, the complexity of this task may be significantly reduced with the right approach. Here’s how you can successfully create a car marketplace platform that helps buyers and sellers connect better:
Step 1: Adopt Clear-cut Goals and a Well-defined Target Audience
The goals you are trying to achieve and the audience you intend to target are key pieces of information that you must consider before attempting to develop a platform. Narrow down the type of buyers and sellers you are trying to reach. Targeting a niche audience might be beneficial, depending on your business goals. The development of legitimate goals and a well-understood target audience are important predictors of your ability to provide a user experience that appeals to them.
Step 2: Determine the Features You Will Offer
Once a target audience and specific business goals are identified, it’s time to select the features you will offer on your platform. An app like Autotrader must have all the functionalities mentioned above and unique and useful functions that differentiate your platform from others. After determining the features you want to include, devise a development roadmap to help ensure your platform gets built without the possibility of scope creep.
Step 3: Choose Appropriate Development Platforms
Choosing appropriate development platforms ensures your audience can find your marketplace platform on their device. There are several development platforms to choose from, like Android, iOS, and web-based platforms. Depending on the scope of your project and the locale you intend to target, developing your marketplace on several platforms may be necessary. In order to do so effectively, consider working with a trustworthy team of developers with experience developing marketplace platforms. Opting to hire a dedicated team for the project will help you better manage the project without overwhelming your employees.
Step 4: Design the Platform
Your platform’s design and execution may determine whether it succeeds or fails in the market. An intuitive and user-friendly design will help differentiate your service from countless others, helping to prop up your revenue streams like any other competitive advantage. During this stage, you may want to focus your efforts on propping up the overall feel of your platform, improving its responsiveness, and ensuring seamless functioning on a myriad of devices.
Step 5: Develop and Launch your Platform
Once you have drawn up a viable design for your platform, you’d have to work with a team of developers to build it for you. Make sure to extensively test your app during this phase to ensure it offers prospective consumers a smooth user experience after launching it. Launching the platform involves marketing it and collecting appropriate feedback for updating your platform to improve upon its many features.
[Also Read: The Most Effective Way of Mobile App Development]
By completing the aforementioned steps, you could create a viable marketplace platform positioned to attract your target audience. In order to develop a competitive platform, you might want to consider working with a reliable e-commerce software development company with proven experience building apps similar to Autotrader. Working with a trustworthy team of developers can help you create an unmatched platform in features, functionality, design, and user experience, allowing you to harness a profitable revenue stream that will take your business to the top.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How to build an marketplace platform like Autotrader?
A. To build a car marketplace platform like Autotrader, you’ll have to first do your market research, ascertain the objectives. Before getting the application developed by a software development company, you’ll have to lay down the design, featuyres and functionality you’ll need from the app. After getting these things in order, you’ll move on to developing the app. After thorough testing the app will be deployed on the app and play store.
Q. How Much Does a Car Marketplace Platform Like Autotrader Cost?
A. Developing a car marketplace platform like Autotrader costs between $50,000 and $200,000 depending on the features and functionality you want from the app. As a general rule of thumb, more features and functionalities will cost you more, but the result will be liked and cherished by your users.