A major portion of the electric vehicle market comprises commercial fleets. And for good reasons. The absence of fuel, heavy automation, and in many cases, a low dependency on drivers makes electric vehicles, or EVs, as they are commonly called, a fleet company’s favorite.
These benefits have led to a situation where $848.94 Billion of the total commercial fleet industry will be made up of EVs. Now, the fact that they have become a critical part of the transportation industry makes it equally crucial for businesses to invest in electric vehicle software for taxi operations. This would streamline every aspect of the space, from route planning to charging status.
In this article, we will dive into the many facets of EV management software for taxi fleets and briefly examine the role of AI in making. We hope that by the end of this article, you, a fleet company planning to invest in EVs, will get a fair idea of how to manage its operations.
The Components of EV Fleet Management Solutions for Taxis
On the ground level, the role of EV management systems in taxi services builds upon internal combustion engine (ICE) fleet management systems with EV-specific features. The objective for these software is the same as their non-EV counterparts – streamlining fleet operations with a focus on drivers’ and vehicles’ well-being.
Here are the subsystems that power taxi fleet optimization with EV software.
Electric Vehicle Routing
Electric taxi fleets have a very different charging requirement when compared to their diesel or gas-based vehicles – it is more frequent and time-sensitive.
This is even more complex because it changes based on the vehicle model and external factors like road elevation, traffic, etc.
A routing system considers all these factors when optimizing taxi fleets with EV management.
The sub-features that make this possible include:
- Range prediction – Vehicle load, battery capacity & consumption, traffic, and topography conditions are studied in real time to plan the fleet’s range.
- Charging station-based route planning – By integrating mapping data of charging stations and other APIs, routes can be planned to ensure the fleet can access the stations along the way.
EV fleet monitoring
Is much simpler than ICE vehicles managing an EV fleet, but they don’t come maintenance-free. The battery conditions must be constantly monitored to ensure it is optimal. The ways electric vehicle software for taxi operations makes it possible are:
- Battery life prediction – EVs generally have battery management systems that give baseline performance data. However, businesses can install more sensors around temperature and pressure to get more data points, which becomes predictive when added to machine learning algorithms. This ML-powered software gives you insights into the battery capacity, how it depreciates over time, and the servicing needs.
- Charging activity tracking – When depending on public charging infrastructure, knowing the efficiency of assets’ charges is always good. A charge monitoring solution can give you real-time speed, status, and cost information. Moreover, if there’s a challenge with charging, the EV management software for taxi fleets can notify drivers to verify the issue.
- Asset tracking – EVs come with a high level of connectivity which can be used to give stakeholders clarity on dispatch schedules based on real-time connectivity.
One of the critical benefits of taxi fleet optimization with EV software is ensuring the company maintains regulatory compliance built for EVs.
EV management software for taxi fleets is typically built to store data points around the hours logged, the number of times the vehicle has been charged, its range, etc. All of this data is consolidated in a report format to help businesses apply for compliance checks with the assurance that they meet the requirements.
Maximizing taxi efficiency with EV management has become very convenient for companies with them now having a comprehensive view of the complete fleet operation. This helps them monitor fleet activities, get the real-time outlook of vehicle locations, and ongoing task schedules, and even maintain direct communication with the fleet drivers.
Additionally, EV software’s impact on taxi fleet operations can be seen in the software being able to monitor if the assigned safety protocols are being maintained and then take corrective measures wherever required to ensure that the drivers are operating in a safe condition.
These are only the key features that define the role of electric vehicle software for taxi operations, a deep-level understanding can only be gathered by looking into some real-world use cases of taxi fleet optimization through electric vehicle software.
Real-World Use Cases of Companies Reaping Benefits of EV Software in Taxi Operations
Several businesses having transportation as their primary mode of operations have started using EVs and, as an extension, EV management software for taxi fleets.
Here are their examples.
- Uber: Ride-hailing platform giant Uber has been offering electric vehicles as part of its fleet for quite some time now. What’s exciting is that Uber has committed to transitioning to an EV-only fleet by the year 2030.
- Lyft: Lyft, the American taxi fleet operator, has similar commitments, such as Uber to electrify their entire taxi fleet by the end of this decade. Lyft offers certain incentive programs to its drivers to encourage EV adoption.
- Didi Chuxing: The Chinese ride-hailing giant that surpassed Uber in China a couple of years ago, has recently partnered with Chinese EV behemoth BYD to develop electric vehicles for its taxi operations.
In our research for our electric vehicle software development services, we have found that what is common between these companies, in addition to their reliance on EV fleet management solutions, is their use of AI to make it more real-time and insightful.
Optimizing taxi fleets with EV management becomes much more efficient and streamlined when incorporated with AI capabilities. With the technology aiding all the key functions like route planning, vehicle diagnostics, and battery optimization, it is crucial to look into AI inclusion in EV fleet management solutions for taxis separately.
How is AI Impacting Taxi Fleet Optimization with EV Software?
- Predictive maintenance – By analyzing the data collected from sensors and vehicle diagnostics, fleet managers can identify potential issues, thus lowering downtime and repair costs.
- Route optimization – AI and Machine Learning algorithms consider multiple events like weather, vehicle load, traffic conditions, and charge stations to create a smart, efficient route plan.
- Autonomous fleet management – Clubbed with sensors, EV fleet tracking, and management solutions, AI can coordinate and manage all the autonomous EV fleets.
- Data security – AI-powered security algorithms don’t just add an extra layer of security in the fleet management domain but also work as a preventive measure that proactively informs the stakeholders of possible cyber attacks.
- Emission monitoring and reporting – AI integration in EV management software for taxi fleets allows businesses to monitor and measure emissions precisely, which helps with meeting sustainability targets and aligning themselves with environmental compliances.
While multiple other technologies, like IoT, Blockchain, AR, etc., are used to maximize taxi efficiency with EV management, AI lies at the center of all those integrations.
At Appinventiv, when we build projects around taxi fleet optimization with EV software, we focus on building a system that would work on data-based insights that help logistics companies track and take timely actions around their fleet’s management.
Looking to build something similar? Get in touch with our taxi fleet management software development experts.
Q. What is EV management software for taxi fleets?
A. A rise in electric vehicles in the commercial logistics domain has given birth to EV management software for taxi fleets. The software tracks and monitors EV fleet operations by analyzing their data specific to load, route, vehicle conditions, and charge status, in real-time.
Q. How does EV management software optimize taxi fleet operations?
A. Taxi fleet optimization with EV software happens primarily through route planning and charging status. By analyzing data created by EVs around the load they are carrying, the model and condition of the vehicle, and the charge status, the software maintains the vehicle’s efficiency.
Q. What benefits does EV management software offer to taxi fleets?
A. The benefits of EV software in taxi operations can be seen in – route optimization, predictive maintenance, charging station management, improved driver security, better fleet efficiency, and help with compliance checks.